After three more diners got sick, the popular Charlotte restaurant Cowfish announced Wednesday that it would close for the second time in four days.
“The Cowfish has decided to voluntarily close again in response to reports of illness from three guests who visited our restaurant after we reopened on Sunday,” Owner Alan Springate said in an e-mail message.
The e-mail said the restaurant learned of the illnesses on Wednesday and notified the Mecklenburg County Health Department.
The restaurant, on Sharon Road near SouthPark Mall, is being cleaned and sanitized by a professional cleaning company to “ensure all potential sources of the suspected virus have been eliminated.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
Springate’s e-mail did not say when the restaurant would reopen. It also didn’t provide details about the cause of the sickness.
The restaurant closed on Saturday after it said some of its employees and customers became sick.
Rebecca Carter, a spokeswoman for the Mecklenburg Health Department, disputed previous reports that the illness was caused by Norovirus, although the symptoms of the people who fell ill were similar to the virus.