Education

Cabarrus schools warn of cuts to programs, staffing amid county budget standoff

Cabarrus County Schools officials say millions of dollars in cuts are likely next school year even if county commissioners approve the funding increase they previously signaled support for — and far deeper reductions could follow if county leaders keep school funding flat.

During Monday night’s Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners meeting, where interim County Manager Kelly Sifford formally presented her recommended fiscal year 2027 budget, residents again pressed commissioners over the unresolved funding dispute with the school district weeks after commissioners abruptly shut down the district’s budget presentation before it began.

Commissioners voted in April to remove Cabarrus County Schools’ budget presentation from the agenda and direct staff to prepare for school funding at last year’s levels after learning district leaders planned to request an increase of more than 8% in county funding. Commissioners said they had previously told the district they would not support an increase higher than 4.5%.

While both sides have since indicated they hope to reach a compromise before the county adopts a final budget in June, school officials are now publicly outlining what a reduced budget could mean for classrooms, staffing and student services.

The county’s proposed budget now includes a school funding increase closer to the roughly 4.5% growth commissioners previously said they would support. But even at that level, Cabarrus County Schools says it would still need to cut about $4 million from its proposed budget. If commissioners ultimately return to a flat-funding approach, district officials say the district would need to slash roughly $8.5 million.

Philip Furr, director of communications for Cabarrus County Schools, told The Charlotte Observer that district leaders are preparing contingency plans for both possibilities.

The district originally requested an 8.43% local funding increase, arguing the additional money was needed to keep pace with rising operational costs and continued district growth. School officials cited increasing employee benefit costs, utility rate hikes already approved through 2027, rising instructional-material and software expenses, transportation and maintenance costs, insurance increases and higher student safety expenses.

In budget documents presented to the school board in April, district leaders described those costs as necessary to maintaining “safe, effective, and high-quality learning environments.”

Furr said the current gap between the district’s proposal and the funding level county commissioners appear willing to support is about $4 million. To close that gap, district officials have already identified possible reductions.

The proposed cuts include reducing professional development spending by half and scaling back athletic field maintenance and traffic-control spending by 75%, changes district documents say could lead to longer pickup and drop-off lines and shift more field-maintenance costs onto booster clubs and families. The district may also reduce network software spending and eliminate district subsidies for athletics, band and field-trip transportation.

The district is also considering eliminating field-trip funding tied to programs and events including Junior Achievement BizTown, Junior Achievement Finance Park, performing arts recognition events and Cabarrus Arts Council programming. Another proposed cut would eliminate district support for the VEX robotics program, shifting those costs to participating students and families.

District officials warned some of the proposed reductions could create operational risks.

Budget documents state that reducing network software spending could increase vulnerability to cyberattacks and compromise network uptime. Other proposed reductions, including cuts to maintenance equipment and reserve funding, could increase the risk of the district ending the year in a deficit because some building repairs cannot be postponed, according to the district presentation.

District officials also acknowledged staffing reductions are likely even under the county’s preferred funding scenario.

Furr said the district expects it will need to eliminate more than $700,000 worth of positions through attrition, retirements and voluntary separations. He said district leaders are attempting to avoid cuts that directly affect classroom instruction and avoid layoffs where possible.

Still, district officials warned that a flat-funding scenario, which commissioners directed staff to prepare for during April’s dispute, would create substantially deeper financial problems. Furr said keeping county funding at last year’s level would require the district to cut approximately $8.5 million from its budget request.

“Flat funding would create significant operational challenges for the District,” Furr said.

The current budget pressure comes after Cabarrus County Schools spent much of the last year attempting to stabilize its finances following earlier deficit concerns and cost overruns.

Cabarrus County Schools faced a roughly $11 million deficit last year tied to enrollment growth, rising costs and lower-than-expected revenue, while county officials have separately warned about long-term budget pressures facing county government.

Furr said the district is now in a much more stable financial position than it was during the 2024-25 fiscal year, which he attributed to increased local funding and tighter financial controls. But he said major financial uncertainties remain, particularly around state and federal education funding.

The county is expected to hold a public hearing on the proposed budget in early June before commissioners vote on a final plan later that month.

Related Stories from Charlotte Observer
Nora O’Neill
The Charlotte Observer
Nora O’Neill is the regional accountability reporter for The Charlotte Observer. She previously covered local government and politics in Florida.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER