Weather News

Debby hits NC, grounding more Charlotte airport flights and extending passenger misery

As Tropical Storm Debby makes its way through the Carolinas, Charlotte Douglas International Airport does not seem to have many cancellations or delay on Thursday, Aug. 8, 2024.
As Tropical Storm Debby makes its way through the Carolinas, Charlotte Douglas International Airport does not seem to have many cancellations or delay on Thursday, Aug. 8, 2024. mrodriguez@charlotteobserver.com

READ MORE


Tropical Storm Debby

The National Weather Services declared a flash flood warning was in effect for Mecklenburg County until 11 a.m. on Thursday.

Expand All

As Tropical Storm Debby drenched North Carolina Thursday, it also continued to make a mess of people’s travel plans at Charlotte’s airport.

On Thursday, 844 flights were delayed at Charlotte Douglas International Airport and 33 were canceled at CLT, according to FlightAware, an online website providing real-time information. That makes for a total of 877 disruptions.

Last weekend, CLT had a total of 1,651 flights delayed. Since then and through early Thursday afternoon, the Charlotte airport saw 4,237 delayed or canceled flights.

Read Next

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for Mecklenburg County until 2 p.m. on Thursday. A morning alert said the region had already received about 1 to 2 inches of rain.

Duke Energy reported there were more than 24,000 customers without power in Mecklenburg County at one point Thursday, although that number had fallen to about 18,000 by 1 p.m. And thousands of outages in surrounding counties still remained at that time.

Debby had made landfall in Florida as a hurricane around 7 a.m. Monday. It brought 80 mph sustained winds, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

The storm was gradually shifting north Thursday afternoon, NWS reported. The main weather risks for Thursday and Friday continue to be flash flooding due to heavy rainfall and also isolated tornadoes. Flood watches and warnings remain in effect from the Carolinas to New Hampshire.

Debby frustrates CLT passengers

Tropical Storm Debby also continued to aggravate passengers trying to catch flights or arrive at Charlotte’s airport — one of the busiest in the world.

Customers took to social media to complain about their experiences today. One user on X (formerly known as Twitter) wrote on Thursday morning: “Those Charlotte cancellations really put a damper on my week. Ended up sleeping in a seedy hotel at the Phoenix airport for three hours.”

Another X poster said, “Stranded in the Charlotte airport more times than one needs in this life.”

And this passenger said on X. that it’s been a “crazy 24 hours. The Charlotte airport was filled with a lot of angry people who were stranded by American. The hotel we’re at had a two page list of people they were comping stays for (and it’s just one of three hotels they used). Wild.”

Meanwhile an Instagram user weighed in on baggage service on a CLT post for Tropical Storm Debby. ”Hopefully you can do something about the slowness at baggage claim. Every time I come home it’s (40-plus minutes) for luggage even when there is not a storm.”

There was some cause for optimism Thursday morning at Charlotte Douglas for planes not facing delays or cancellations. But the numbers were growing throughout the day.
There was some cause for optimism Thursday morning at Charlotte Douglas for planes not facing delays or cancellations. But the numbers were growing throughout the day. MELISSA MELVIN-RODRIGUEZ mrodriguez@charlotteobserver.com

American Airlines keeps eye on Debby

American Airlines continued to monitor the storm’s track and are prepared to manage any potential disruptions at CLT, according to spokeswoman Bri Harper. The company accounts for 87% of all flights out of Charlotte Douglas.

A travel alert is in effect for Georgia and the Carolinas until Friday, Aug. 9.

Customers whose travel plans are affected by Debby may rebook without change fees, according to the travel alert issued by American Airlines. They can reschedule travel at aa.com or by contacting reservations at 800-433-7300 in the U.S. or Canada.

Charlotte Douglas will remain open during the storm for stranded passengers, CLT officials said.

Baggage claim C inside the Charlotte Douglas International Airport on August 5, 2024. The airport is facing many delays and cancelations due to Hurricane Debby’s landfall in Florida.
Baggage claim C inside the Charlotte Douglas International Airport on August 5, 2024. The airport is facing many delays and cancelations due to Hurricane Debby’s landfall in Florida. PRESTON JENKINS pjenkins@charlotteobserver.com


This story was originally published August 8, 2024 at 7:54 AM.

Related Stories from Charlotte Observer
Chase Jordan
The Charlotte Observer
Chase Jordan is a business reporter for The Charlotte Observer, and has nearly a decade of experience covering news in North Carolina. Prior to joining the Observer, he was a growth and development reporter for the Wilmington StarNews. The Kansas City native is a graduate of Bethune-Cookman University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER

Tropical Storm Debby

The National Weather Services declared a flash flood warning was in effect for Mecklenburg County until 11 a.m. on Thursday.