Scott Fowler’s quick takes:
▪ I don't think the Panthers are going to have to make the "Todd Gurley decision." Now that the former Georgia running back is cleared medically, a number of mock drafts have him going in the top 10 Thursday night on the first day of the NFL draft -- way too high for Carolina (No. 25).
▪ If you're a sports fan and can't find anything to do from May 14-17 in Charlotte, you're not trying very hard. NASCAR's all-star race, Quail Hollow's PGA Tour event and Charlotte's world-class level swim meet all converge in those four days. That likely means Dale Earnhardt Jr. vs. Jimmie Johnson, Phil Mickelson vs. Adam Scott and Michael Phelps vs. Ryan Lochte, all on the same Queen City weekend.
▪ The votes are already in and cannot be changed, but I'd say Stephen Curry has proven himself as the NBA MVP in his first-round playoff series against New Orleans. Not bad for a skinny, short kid who used to shoot his jumper from his waist in the backyard in Charlotte.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ If you were wondering, single-game tickets for Panthers' games go on sale May 30th.
▪ I was glad to see President Obama got in a "Deflategate" jab at the New England Patriots when they visited the White House Thursday. Asking Bill Belichick if he needed some scissors to cut the sleeves off his suit was also a nice touch.
▪ Cool to see that the Charlotte 49ers will play football on the road at Tennessee in 2018 and at Clemson in 2019. They also play at Kentucky this season. A schedule like that has to help recruiting.