Body of Lake Wylie drowning victim recovered, search continues for 2nd victim
Emergency crews recovered the body of a drowning victim from Lake Wylie shortly before noon Friday and are searching for a second drowning victim on the lake.
The drownings are unrelated, deputies said.
Lester Cook, III, 40, was identified as one of the victims. Witnesses said he drowned after falling off the pier he was working on.
The second victim was seen jumping from his boat, possibly due to engine troubles, and began swimming to shore, authorities said. The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources is leading the investigation.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 80 percent of all drowning victims are male. CDC also reports that in 2010, over 600 people died in boating accidents, most were not wearing life jackets.
Last month, four people drowned in Charlotte area lakes. Bradley Long, 28, a volunteer captain at Sherrills Ford-Terrell Fire and Rescue and a full-time firefighter drowned trying to recover a swimmer’s body in deep, murky water near the Marshall Steam Station.
Staff reports
This story was originally published July 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM with the headline "Body of Lake Wylie drowning victim recovered, search continues for 2nd victim."