▪ Defensive end Charles Johnson and Kony Ealy were excused for personal reasons Wednesday. Johnson left on a cart within the first hour of practice to tend to a personal issue. Ealy showed up to practice about 15 minutes late after tending to his issue. Both are expected to play in Friday’s exhibition against New England.
▪ Receiver Devin Funchess had a nice fingertip grab on a sideline throw from quarterback Cam Newton, but the second-year wideout dropped a pass a few plays later on a deep slant from Newton. Funchess hasn’t had many drops this preseason.
▪ Safety Trenton Robinson had pectoral surgery on Wednesday, he tweeted Tuesday night. It’s unclear what move the Panthers will make with him.
▪ Cornerback Robert McClain continued to make plays on the ball in practice. It was the third straight practice he had a pass breakup, and he’s making his position on the 53-man roster more comfortable with each practice.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Panthers will begin installing plays for their Week 1 game against Denver in Sunday’s practice.